Saturday, January 9, 2010

Oh How I Love Thee, Summer Fruit:Peaches 3 Ways

Last week I bought a heap of peaches cheap at the markets and once I got them home my thoughts turned to how I was going to use them up.

I flicked through my cookbooks and found a chutney and a relish in 1000 Vegan recipes. I would never have thought about making them pre-vegan. Hot, cooked fruit? No way! (especially sultanas!). But I put my prejudices aside, gave these a go, and was very pleasantly surprised.

Firstly I made Spiced Tomato and Peach Relish. (pg. 570). It recommends Chickpea and Vegetable Loaf (on pg. 265) as a fantastic dish to have with the relish as an accompaniment. So I had to make that, too!



Then I made Ginger-Peach Chutney (pg. 564). This was the winner hands down! We had these with Kebabs (post to come later) but they just ROCKED as a spread on bread with Macadamia Cashew Patties (p. 119)!! It was like an orgasm in my mouth! Amazing!



Lastly, I stewed up the rest of the peaches and added them with some puff pastry to my pie maker with some Vegan Whipped Cream (p.501) on the side for an awesome, quick dessert.


My family are really enjoying my urge to cook!

Tahn

2 comments:

Johanna GGG said...

I love summer fruit and esp peaches - those relishes and chutneys look fab - and the loaf and burgers too - I think I would love to try the tomato and peach relish - sounds delicious

Rose said...

I'm a huge chutney/relish fan, your renditions and the meals with them look wonderful. Thanks for the recipe recommendations. PIie looks fab too...it's winter where I am...I miss summer! :)