Sunday, October 18, 2009

Mini Muffins, More Op Shopping and an Orange in the Guts



Ok, so weird title, I know, but I will explain them all one by one.
Firstly, thanks to those who posted comments to my dilemma of whether or not to wear 2nd hand leather goods from op shops. I also did some research last night and the jury seems pretty much divided 50-50. So, I have temporarily come to this conclusion: I don't believe (at this stage, feel free to convince me otherwise) that I am adding to the demand of leather by buying 2nd hand goods. It sits well with my beliefs in recycling and reusing before buying new. I won't go searching for 2nd hand leather goods to buy, but if something happens to appear that seems to be just what I need, I will definitely consider buying it. Although, a little part of me feels a bit icky having a dead animal on my feet...

So this morning Tweenie and Baby decided to make some mini muffins. Here is a picture of the mini's in Baby's seven-year-old hand. So tiny and cute.


They adapted a recipe from Vegan a Go-Go.

Today went  headed towards Preston Markets and the local library. I had planned on only a $20 budget at the markets today, mostly to get fruit for school lunches. So we walked down High Street as I wanted to look for a dry cleaner to clean a couple of the dresses I bought yesterday for my cousin's wedding. On the way we stopped at a few more op shops and picked up a couple of more bargains. The last place we stopped at was Scrooges. The kids found some clothes for themselves there and we all started chatting to the lady behind the counter. It started off her asking how to say my name (it was on the credit card), to the origin of my name (NZ) and ended up finding out that her sister AM lives in Geraldton (WA) - which is where we moved from. I said that I worked at Geraldton PS, and did her sister's kids go there. Turns out they did, we know them, one of the kids was in Tweenie's class, and I lived next door to AM's best buddy - so I knew her sister REALLY well!! It is such a small world!!! It also turns out that AM and her boys are due here tomorrow (or should I say tonight, since it is again past midnight!), so I left my number for her to call if she wants to catch up! I totally believe there was a reason why we started to chat to the lady there instead of saying thanks, and leaving! Weird!

OK, now for the orange explanation! Just before I got on here to type this post, I thought I would duck across the road to the petrol station to binge on some skittles and fanta. It doesn't happen very often, since I have lived here this year, I have probably been over maybe 3 times (including this time). Unfortunatly, they had no skittles (what's with that??) so I left with nothing. As I got to the kerb to cross the road, a P plater's car cruised around the corner onto the main road on which I live. It was only metres away so I waited for it to pass before I crossed the road. The next thing I know, the passenger had thrown an orange at me and it hit me in the stomach!! WTF!!!! I hear about this stupid shit happening all the time but it has never happened to me! Check out the pic.


Can you believe that? I let loose on Facebook for a little while and I feel a bit better now. Maybe it was a sign. Telling me off for trying to have refined sugar/a binge session/lollies/unhealthy foods or whatever. I am glad that it wasn't an egg or something, that would have really pissed me off more to have to clean myself up! It was sore internally for about an hour afterwards, but seems to have settled down now and it is mostly my pride that is hurt.

Sorry for all the swearing tonight, I am just a little annoyed!

Tahn

8 comments:

Johanna GGG said...

that is outrageous about the orange - there are some real idiots around here - it is not karma it is plain stupidity!

but glad you had a nice chat at the op shop - you need some good coincidences to balance up the unfortunate coincidences

BrisVegan said...

The orange assault was a horrible thing. I can never believe that people would just drive around hurting random strangers, but there are some so and so's out there.

Hope you feel better soon.

Great muffins, by the way. I need to go and make some now.

Tahn said...

Ya know, I was thinking, Death By Orange would never had happened if Popeye was here...He would have gone across the road for me :(
I miss him...

Anonymous said...

woah! that's pretty messed up! what if it had got you in the head?? that's madness. though consider yourself lucky in a way: i've had friends have bottles thrown at them from passing cars. some people are just thoughtless scum, i've come to accept that and focus on the amazing ones instead!

Anonymous said...

bloody hell re orange...

re used leather... I recycle everything including leather, I pretty much only buy second hand clothes and buy leather items for things that I need to last me like boots/belts.. I used to buy vegan only items but found they would only last me one season and I'd have to throw it away which made me crazy.. I'm an environmentalist before anything and I want to buy second hand goods that will last.. my leather boots I've worn almost all winter every winter for 5 years now...

Tahn said...

Thanks for your opinion Carla. That's sort of my idea as well. Good to know others share the same point of view. I was a little worried cause on forums I found on the subject I felt some people believed people with this opinion would not be able to call themselves vegan without being a hypocrite...

Bianca said...

Great blog I eenjoyed reading

Bianca said...

Loved rreading this thanks