Thursday, October 1, 2009

Creamy Curried Vegetables




One of my favourite fast dinner dishes. It's from the cook book I recently had an affair with - Vegan a Go-Go by Sarah Kramer and I cook it all the time. It's great to use up a heap of vegetables and I really like the flavour.

Here are the ingredients all chopped and ready to go into the pot!


Creamy Curried Vegetables


1 Onion, sliced
4-6 Cloves of Garlic, crushed
1-3 Carrots (I used only one, but added about 4 yellow squash), chopped
1 1/2C Cauliflower (I also added broccoli)
Some Mushrooms (I had some Oyster Mushrooms lying around so I used those)
1 Potato, peeled and cubed
1C frozen Peas
3T Braggs
1T Curry Powder
1/2t Turmeric
1/2t Cumin seeds
1/8t Cayenne Pepper (I only use the tiniest amount as it blows my kids' heads off!)
1 tin Coconut Milk (I only had coconut cream, works the same)
rice or rice noodles, to serve


Method
Heat a little bit of oil in a saucepan. Add onion, garlic and carrot and cook until onion is clear. Add rest of vegetables (except peas), curry powder, turmeric, cumin, & cayenne pepper. Stir for 2-4 minutes, making sure it doesn't stick too much to the bottom. Add in the coconut milk, cover and simmer until potato is soft, about 10-20 minutes. Add peas and Braggs and continue to stir until sauce thickens. Serve over rice noodles.


So anyway, today I had had enough of being controlled by the television and the internet. It sucks me in all day, every day! I never seem to get anything done or be bothered doing the simplest tasks. Does anyone else ever feel like this???
I had a chat to the kids and told them we were to have a technology-free week. No TV, DVD's, Nintendo, radio, DS, phones, internet, computers....etc  etc. So I put a note on the TV that reads:





There are a few exceptions. I want to continue this blog and I feel I have committed to this, so I told the kids I would only blog on here at night after they were in bed for VeganMoFo and to look up new recipes to cook and blog about. Also, at any time in the day, I may turn on 1 song from my iPod and we all have to stop what we are doing and boogie to it! Just for fun.
The kids seem happy with the idea. My nephew arrived today so they don't care because they are quite happy to amuse themselves with their own games. But it is proving a little bit lonesome for me. I think I will read quite a few books over the next week! Anyway, we'll see how it goes! I already have a clean loungeAND kitchen which is unheard of in this house!!


Oh, I nearly forgot!! Check out what I scored on ebay today:


Sorry about the crappy photo. I just quickly took it then because I just remembered!
A BOKASHI BUCKET!!!!!!
I got it for about half RRP and it has hardly been used! The eco bokashi grain stuff is the original it came with! I am so happy I won this. If I didn't win this today I was going to go and buy I new one (which I REALLY can't afford!). Now my worms can breathe a little easier! I have 2 worm farms and they STILL can't keep up with my fruit and vege scraps! And the bokashi bucket can take all types of food, so NO MORE WASTE! It all goes in the bucket. If you don't know the benefits of the bokashi, google it! As an added bonus, it turns out the seller lives in the same suburb as me, only a few minutes walk away! It was meant to happen!!


Well, better get off this banned piece of equipment and umm, read a book.


Tahn

6 comments:

Jen Treehugger said...

Ha ha funny sign. Where as I am living in Spain and I can't transmit any TV programmes either. LOL!
Happy Mofo'ing!
:)

Johanna GGG said...

love that photo of your soup ingredients

we only turn on the tv at night but the computer is definitely a time waster - I like the idea of just using it at night - that would be good for me - but I don't know I could give up my talk back radio! - good luck with your technology free week

Kate S said...

What a great idea to go without the TV/internet for a while. Our TV died a while ago and it was amazing how much more you can get done without the brain drain. Unfortunately we did cave in and get another one ....... :(

Andrea said...

Hi Tahn,
I feel like that alot - not getting things done, etc - I think it may have something to do with being on school holidays - I find myself reading veggie blogs and looking at recipes way too much...I am a big fan of open ended play and free play - but sometimes would like to be a little more scheduled and disciplined!

Bex said...

I quickly scanned the picture before actually reading the post and though "yes! someone else is in Spain right now!" oh well.
I feel a bit tied to my computer but luckily I don't have a tv so I'm doing ok, it's so addicting.

Tahn said...

Thanks Jeni Treehugger, I'm glad you like my sign! And thanks for stopping by :)

I agree, Johanna, about using it at night, but that is usually when I need to do a lot of things like cook dinner and clean up afterwards. Those things don't tend to get done!

KateS, shame you got another TV :)

Andrea, I think you may be right about the school holidays. I think I had a technology meltdown last time too, because I feel like all they are doing is watching TV or DVD's. Which isn't really too bad because during the term they don't watch too much. We have had some great quality time even in just 2 days!

Sorry if my picture fooled you, Bex! :)